Saturday, December 9, 2006

In the future, we'll just replicate meat pie


Vegetarian Tourtiere
Originally uploaded by centrallyisolated.
Alright, so maybe the idea of making a meat-free meat pie was doomed from the start... but our theme for the week was "french Canadian food," and it's just not franco without tourtiere. I found this recipe online, and went down to the co-op to buy my very first bag of textured vegetable protein.

Fortunately for my tourtiere, I had lots of non-alcoholic beer on hand from my horrible mishap at the grocery store a few weeks earlier, but that's about where my luck ended with this pie. For some reason, the filling seemed to be much too dry, epecially with all those bread crumbs, so I added a bunch more veggie stock. In the end, I think the texture was a bit gummy from the bread crumbs, so next time I'm going to try it with mashed potatoes instead.

Verdict: 1.5 Picards, maybe two with ketchup :)

No comments: